Monday, April 11, 2011

Magickal Reunion With An Old Friend


Back in the beginning of March, the good Frater RO, of Head For The Red fame, posted brief instructions for a Working about which I was quite skeptical, yet very intrigued. The rite in question is intended to establish actual, two-way communication between the Magus and an animal. Anyone who knows me could tell you that I am a dog lover. In my humble opinion, this species represents one of the great successes of creation. Dogs are, in my experience, the only beings capable of unconditional love. Wait, wait, wait... I hear you already, protesting that we as humans are equally capable of such deep levels of love, but the fact is we are not. I'll leave that debate for another day, for now let it suffice to say that I have an immeasurable affection for dogs in general, and for pitbulls in particular, who I've found to be the most loving, loyal and devoted of the species when raised with love. I have raised 'bulls since my early teens, the first of which is pictured above. His name was Domino, and he was the worlds greatest dog for more reasons than I could count, and like his son and grandson, I was present when he was born and raised him as a member of my family. He had, and his offspring still have, their own bedroom in my home complete with air conditioning and a king size bed which is rarely used since the spoiled beasts have decided that they much prefer MY bed with their heads planted firmly on myself and my Queen's chests or on the pillow next to us.

Anyway, before I get too far of track - One of my largest regrets in life is that I was not present when Domino died. I was sentenced to a five year term in prison shortly after Domino had a cancerous tumor removed, we thought, successfully. About a year into my sentence, the cancer returned and my friend Domino died. While I freely admit that I am quite literally devoid of empathy for the vast majority of mankind, the suffering of a dog is something I find intolerable, and to know that Domino died without me there has disturbed me quite deeply.

While I have used Evocation to communicate with those known as Angels as well as Demons, with Gods and with "Devils", despite a fair amount of experience with Necromancy, I had never considered using Magick to reach my dog. When RO posted his  "Communion Between Mage and Beast", the wheels immediately began turning in my head and, while hesitant to believe traditional Grimoiric Evocation could make this happen, I knew I would make the attempt. While he was speaking more about communing with a living pet or familiar, I had to apologize to Domino, and also I wanted to explore the possibility of obtaining a better understanding of the thought process of a dog.

The project began.

I decided to use the method RO outlines in his post as the basic structure; A simple evocation using a lamen created for Domino:


The lamen adheres to RO's basic design as taught in his excellent work The Modern Angelic Grimoire, with the exception of adaptation of the Great Names to fit my own Will. After opening the temple using a Graeco-Egyptian rite from the PGM, lighting appropriate incense as an offering to my own patrons and to all spirits who would guide and facilitate the working, reciting the following:

"I conjure thee, oh thou creature of fire! by him who created all things both in heaven and earth, and in the sea, and in every other place whatever, that forthwith thou cast away every phantasm from thee, that no hurt whatsoever shall be done in any thing. Bless, oh Lord, this creature of fire, and sanctify it that it may be blessed, and that it may take the shape and form of that which my honored guests find most pleasing"

Both the above consecration of the offering and the evocation I used are derived from from Trimethius' Art of Drawing Spirits into Crystals. This text was also the basis for RO's method in the Modern Angelic Grimoire.

"Oh, God! who art the author of all good things, strengthen, I beseech thee, thy poor servant, that he may stand fast, without fear, through this dealing and work; enlighten, I beseech thee, oh Lord! the dark understanding of thy creature, so that his spiritual eye may be opened to see and know the spirit of his companion, now departed this plane, descending here

In the name of the Headless One who alone holds together the whole of creation, I do desire thee, My great friend Domino, unto whom I have dedicated this Lamen, that if it be the divine will of the Holy God, the Father of all who is greater than all and the creator of all, that thou take upon thee some shape as best becometh thy present nature, and appear to me visibly here in this crystal, that once again I may know your presence"

Despite my initial skepticism, I am pleased to report that this rite, unorthodox as it was, was a success. From a practical standpoint, communication was much easier than I expected. While I was prepared by RO's post to interpret images and other such methods of communication, this proved unnecessary and I've discovered that, at least based on what I learned here, dogs are far more intelligent than I ever imagined. Domino had no problems communicating and did so exactly as have the spirits with whom I've worked. I also learned that although they don't communicate in the same way we do, they do communicate and understand all that goes on around them. 


To Frater RO I owe a great deal of thanks, for I doubt I would ever have thought of this, and yet its success has provided me not only peace of mind, but also a remarkable opportunity to reunite with an old friend, if only for an hour.

2 comments:

  1. I am not so much a dog person but I love the Pits. I think of this breed as inherently magical. I had a little tuxedo female, alot of Staffordshire in her. Horribly treated. I called her Daka after the Tibetan protective spirits.

    I have taken a few in over the years. They just understand you in a way that I find difficult to explain. The breed is illegal here in Toronto now, fucking ridiculous.

    I enjoyed this immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you, I've had dogs since childhood; My family always had one or two. We had Akitas, Mastiffs, South African Boerbels, and even a poodle. I liked them all, but when I first encountered a pit I was sold. I have been in love with the breed since. They get a terrible reputation because if they are mistreated and taught volence they are terribly destructive, but when they're raised with love they are the most loving and gentle of dogs. The brindle one sitting up in the picture got beat down by a chihuahua last week; A friend left the gate open, he saw a lady walking her little terrorist of a pocket pooch, he ran over to play, the chihuahua snapped and nipped his nose and Mr. big bad pitbull yelped and ran like hell back in the house and wouldn't come outside until they were out of sight. :)

    ReplyDelete