Tuesday, October 18, 2011

If The World Ends On Friday....

     Once again we're told that the end is nigh; This time but a few days away. While I won't dignify this blatant fuckery with discussion, instead silently hoping that come Saturday morning he has the decency to, well, die, this subject in conjunction with a now widely known speech by the late Steve J. wherein he says "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" has me thinking. 

     Adding further fuel to the fire and greasing those little wheels within my head which have begun turning incessantly is that the universe seems adamant about me giving this some thought as it have twice today provoked me in that direction. Turning on the car today the song that immediately filled my ears was "If you had 24 hours to live:, and arriving at work today I discover a new poster of Steve J. with the aforementioned quote.

    For me though, the question I'm mulling over in my head and which I'm going to explore here is different, you know, since I'm not a raging asshat who thinks I can predict the end even though I've made a total dick of myself on several prior occasions. MY question therefore is. "If my next Magickal work were to be my last; If I knew beyond any doubt and with absolute certainty that following my next rite, be it an Evocation, a Conjuration, Consecration of a Talisman or whatever else, it was going to be the last, what would I want to do? "

     Its a tough one. Would I want to Evoke and spend my last magickal moments with my patrons, who have been as loved and revered family to me, or would I want to use my last ounce of juju to attract fortune and success. Or, in keeping with my own nature and disposition would I want to throw caution to the wind and do something huge, such as the full evocation of the biggest, baddest and most primeval sumbitch I could manage to dig up in my research. 

     Oh sure I could go all mother theresa and shoot for a goal of a globally benevolent nature, such as inspiring peace and kindness in the hearts of world leaders, but really, how often does our Magick work on that level? Its not out of the question, and if I knew my next work were to be my last I would devote every fiber of my being to it and it would therefore have a huge power boost, but nonetheless, that's a pretty big order to fill, and wouldn't you rather not gamble your last dollar on a long shot? 

     This in mind, I think what I'm going to do is take this week to decide just what I would do under those circumstances, and then begin planning to make it a reality. Not as my last work, but as a work to remember. Then I'll start planning whichever I chose as runner up. 




1 comment:

  1. That is a very good question for any practitioner to ponder! I can't believe I never considered what my literal "last rites" would be. 's got me thinkin'.

    ReplyDelete