Monday, November 7, 2011

Mastering The Mystical Heptarchy

     Although I'd planned to devote this past weekend to revising www.grimoiremagick.org, by Friday evening I was resigned to the fact that this was not going to happen.  Foremost among the reasons why that didn't happen was the arrival of a handful of books I'd just ordered 2 days prior, and which I didnt expect until today. Among them Jade Sol Luna's Asterian Astrology, which I have yet to open, Koetting's Ipsissimus, and, as the astutely observant reader will have guessed, Scott Stenwick's Mastering The Mystical Heptarchy. 

     Of these, it was Scott's that occupied the majority of my time this weekend, and it is this book I'm going to talk about now, albeit briefly since I'm on my lunch break. The first thing that impressed me about the book was to be found in the first page following the table of contents, (always a good sign when you find yourself agreeing with the author before the third paragraph) and that is that Scott differentiates between Ceremonial and Ritual Magick, which is something he and I have in common, and also where we diverge from the majority. Though out definitions are different, I like that he too makes the distinction where most just lump both practices together and use the terms interchangeably. 

     Another point of convergence between Scott's beliefs and my own is in the correct pronunciation of the Enochian tongue. As I've mentioned before, I am no Enochian scholar or adept and defer gladly to most of the authors who've written on the subject, but I just cant agree with the elongated Golden Dawn style pronunciation. 

   The rites he presents herein are easy to follow and, much to my liking, do not require one to have attained the understanding of the Enochian system that accompanies lifelong study. Part of what has stopped me from delving into this system despite its  power is that it is overwhelmingly complex and I simply lack the time to study it in depth. This is a book that will enable those interested in the field of Magick to dive on in, and do so in a far more logical and true manner that works such as Schueler's, bringing us one step closer to the Magick OF John Dee, as opposed to the modern adaptations which bear little resemblance. 



     

1 comment:

  1. Thanks much! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the book and found it so useful. I'm hoping that it will allow a lot more people to start working with and exploring Dee's system right away. Even though there's a lot to it Enochian doesn't need to be as complex and convoluted as some authors make it out to be.

    ReplyDelete