Thursday, December 1, 2011

Stregheria, The Formula Of IAO And Other Such Updates

     Having received not one, but two emails from readers wondering why I've "gone silent" after 11-11's monumental workings, I figured it behooves me to take a few moments to update the blog. I hadn't, in fact, "gone silent",  I was simply overtaken by events and opportunities over the past couple of weeks. 

     As seems to be the norm for me, I have stumbled upon an opportunity to study a new field of Magick, to wit, genuine Stregheria. (referring to the Pre-Etruscan form of withcraft prevalent in Sicily and the rest of Italy between 1000bc and until the time of christianity's legalization, Not Raven G's version thereof, which I'm told is very different) Those who follow this blog as well as those who tuned in to the Witchtalk interview may recall that my introduction to each of the forms of Magick I've studied have always come about blindly, with me simply "happening" upon an opportunity. A relative who happens to be a GD initiate walking by my room when I was 15 and seeing DMK's Modern Magic taking me under his wing; The same relative, nearly two years later, making a sarcastic, tongue in cheek comment making mention of the Goetia leading me to investigate the book that would lead to my setting out on a Grimoiric path; My being in a local botanica and striking up a conversation with the owner who happened to recognize my name from CK and invite me to study with him. 

     My invitation to study "traditional" Sicialian Stregheia came about in a similar fashion. After an hour with a frustratingly hardheaded individual at work, who provoked in me an irresistible urge to beat him about the head with a stapler, I decided that while doing so might very well be the most satisfying thing I did all day, it likely wouldnt be good for me legally or professionally, and so I sought my release where all the Sicilian men of my family do. At the Italian bakery. 

     While enjoying my cannoli, and picking out a half dozen chocolate covered strawberries, I struck up a conversation with someone whom I'd noticed had a mano cornuto medallion on his chain, and who, it turns out only relocated here from Sicily a few years back and who is deeply involved in the practice of Stregheria. So, in addition to my own work and research, my Saturday explorations of the Santeria/ Brujeria of my botanica operating amigo, and now once a week meeting to learn a bit about the Magick of my cultural ancestors, I am a busy, busy Magus.

     That, taken alongside my current writing projects, which include the restoration and rescue from obscurity  of yet another set of obscure yet wildly effective Grimoires, an instructional volume on Veritable Evocation, and more, leaves me exhausted, to say the least.

     I'm also anxiously awaiting the release of my friend and fellow gent Derik Richards' Guide, The Lunar Formula of IAO wherein he explores the origins of the divine name IAO and its modern applications. Yet another excellent addition to the Guides To The Underworld Series made available by the good folks at Hadean.

   

     



1 comment:

  1. Lunar...? Whelp, now I'm waiting on another book to arrive, lol.

    Good luck with all your projects; exhausting doesn't even begin to sound like it covers it.

    ReplyDelete