Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Best Thing I've Read All Year

     I am moments away from hopping on a plane (something I'm doing altogether too much lately) but wanted to share something I'd just read, which is unequivocally the best thing I've read this year. It was posted at a blog of which I hadn't heard, and I was introduced to it by way of JSK's having shared it on his FB page. The piece in question deals with the predominant belief among many that Magick is an internal process only, that the spirits do not really exist outside of our own psyche (something I've spoken on extensively) and that any change brought about by Magick is limited to changing the practitioner, and not capable of making tangible changes in the fabric of reality or the world at large. This relegates magick to a form of self-help or self development, as the piece's author mentions, and is wholly detrimental to the aspiring Magus who takes it as fact. It is, quite frankly, BS.

     The piece of which I speak is to be found here, and I highly recommend it to one and all who are embarking on a Magickal path. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm ok with the majority of "magicians" believing that its all in their head. Afterall most of those magicians who thoroughly buy into that premise shouldn't be practicing real magic anyhow. So the issue is solved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you may have just changed my opinion. Its the same idea as the thinning of the herd. The ones who cant figure it out on their own and by the new age tripe would likely be the ones who I'd want to smack upside the head if they ever DID start doing real Magick. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind knowing that most people who go out of their way to be affiliated with magic can't tell its actuality from their meager thoughts and impressions about it, because to me it just means that the mysteries remain safe and the wise remain the wise. Wisdom wouldn't be wisdom if there weren't people who were content on cheating themselves by savoring their own ideas about a word ("magic"), rather than nourishing themselves with experience of the reality the word stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article described people who entirely discard magic, but more damaging are these types of atheists who try rationalize magic by saying that magical components doesn't have objective properties, but "only affect the mind" of the magician "through symbols" (!) to "use his energy". This psychologization is the core of New Age magic.

    ReplyDelete