Thursday, April 25, 2013

Updates On Books, The Nature of Spirits And Other Blogosphere Fun

     It has been quite some time since I last set the metaphorical pen to paper and updated this blog, partly because of the ever diminishing amount of free time I'm afforded, and partly because I've had something of a writers block, at least where this site is concerned. Despite the period of radio silence, I have been hard at work bringing to fruition, or at least in closer proximity to it, a handful of projects I am quite sure you'll all enjoy, such as the forthcoming anthology on the Holy Guardian Angel

     I've also been working with a very talented designer to craft some of the most exquisite materia magica I've ever seen, such as The Ring of Solomon from The Goetia, as well as its counterpart from the Arabic/ Ruhaniya Tradition, and a new, professionally designed Abrasax Gem. Those items that are already available can be found on my website, which will be continually updated as new items are crafted. Next on the list is a truly amazing set of pentacles as per Crossed Keys, along with all the materia necessary for practice. 

     Despite my own silence over the past month, I've remained faithful in reading my favorite blogs, and have been thoroughly enjoying the ongoing discussion on the nature of spirits. For any of my readers who are living under a rock and have not yet begun following these blogs, the conversations in question are taking place at RO's, Barrabbas', Jack Faust's, and Acher's, among others. 

     The nature and existence of the spirits (read angel, demons, gods, etc...) with whom we work in our practice is a topic of discussion I thoroughly enjoy every time it comes up, as I find the viewpoints expressed by my contemporaries enlightening, even if they don't mirror my own. 

     My own long held and steadfast stance is well known, as I've been quite vocal about it here and in my writing. Also, please note the use of the word stance as opposed to belief. This is because I speak from my own first hand, experiential knowledge. "Belief" is for roman catholics attempting to explain why they remain with a church built on lies and for which incontrovertible proof to the contrary exists. Belief has no place in my magickal practice - only experience. My own experience, therefore, has been that the spirits with whom we work are entities as real and independent of humanity as we are of them. The "belief" that they are merely areas of our psyche that we have personified and deified is a Crowleyan fallacy, and one that has caused more harm to the study of evocation magic than any other piece of misinformation of which I am aware.

     Some other points I'd like to make:

  •      Like Frater Acher, I have found that the majority of those with whom I have worked neither adhere to or acknowledge the hierarchies into which western magicians have classified them. For example, the first time I referred to one such as a Duke, the reply I received was one of condescension, asking why mankind would think it appropriate to ascribe our societal castes and classes to an order of beings entirely outside the scope of such trivialities. There are some who are indeed subordinate to others, such as many of the Gods of Olympus in their subordination to Zeus, but in the main I've found that the titles and offices we've assigned others, such as general, duke, prince, are feeble attempts by man to fit them into an organizational chart so that we can better understand them, when in fact they are entirely outside this type of structure. 
  • I've also found that in many, if not most cases, the terms we use, such as demon, jinn, angel, etc... are further attempts by us to classify and label that which defies classification. In my early work with evocation, when first beginning to succeed in it and given the opportunity to communicate with those I called, I would frequently inquire of their nature. Were they, as the grimoires suggested, a demon? A fallen angel, perhaps? A God of old, fallen from grace? The response I got was most often, something like "I am simply who I am. I am none of those things and all of them. It is you who feels compelled to create labels and titles for everything, we see no need for such distinctions"

No comments:

Post a Comment